Why Learning ETABS is a Must ?
Date: 24 April 2020 Posted by: Admin
Many softwares are available in the market which is used by Civil & Structural Engineers. These programs help civil engineers perform their daily duties – whether it’s Analysis & Design or 3D Modeling or just ensuring that they are staying on schedule.
Based on their usages in different domains about civil & structural engineering, We have shortlisted some of the best software that is available in the market.
These software's are used in most of the companies which are related to the construction industry.
- STAAD pro
- SAP 2000
What is this ETABS Software ?
“ETABS-Extended 3D analysis of Building Systems”, is a product of Computers and Structures Inc. It is an engineering software that is used in construction. It has highly efficient structure analysis and design programs developed for catering to multi-story building systems. It is loaded with an integrated system consisting of modeling tools and templates, code-based load prescriptions, analysis methods, and solution techniques. It can handle the largest and most complex building models and associated configurations. ETABS software is embedded with CAD-like drawing tools with an object-based interface and grid representation.
ETABS software has the following implications in the construction, designing, and modeling industry:
- It is a software used in construction. It analyses and assesses seismic performance and checks the load-bearing capacity of building structures.
- Using this software, you can view and manipulate the analytical model with great accuracy. Plans and elevation views are auto-generated at every grid line.
- ETABS software is used for the analysis of concrete shear walls and concrete moment frames. It is highly acclaimed for static and dynamic analysis of multi-story frame and shear wall buildings.
- It is the most popular civil designing tools used in the building industry and increases the productivity of structural engineers. It also prevents the investment of unnecessary time and money in general-purpose programs.
- The input, output, and numerical solution techniques of ETABS are particularly designed to take the upper hand of the unique physical and numerical characteristics associated with building type structures. As a result, this analysis and design tool accelerates data preparation, output interpretation, and overall execution.
Advantages of ETABS software !!
For nearly 30 years, ETABS Software has been recognized worldwide as the industry-standard software for the design analysis of buildings. The following are the advantages of ETABS software:
- It displays a 3D axonometric view of the model, plan view, elevation view, elevation development view, and a custom view defined by the user.
- It gives graphic input of cross-sections of any geometry and material (Section Designer).
- It can copy and paste the geometry of a model to and from spreadsheets.
- It can easily export the model geometry to .dxf files.
- It is integrated with EC – Praxis 3J for the analysis and design of steel connections.
- Also, there is an infinite number of grid systems in a model. They can be rotated in any direction or placed at any origin within the model.
- ETABS has built-in drawing and drafting utilities to enhance the modeling experience of engineers. In fact, many common industry shortcuts and controls are also available in the software.
- The solutions to some complicated problems such as Panel Zone Deformations, Diaphragm Shear Stresses, and Construction Sequence Loading are now readily available through ETABS software.
- The ultimate SAP Fire 64-bit solver massive models with complex designing to be analyzed within seconds and supports non-linear modeling techniques such as construction sequencing.
- Comprehensive reports are available for all analysis and design outputs which can be customized as per the needs. Schematic construction drawings of framing plans, schedules, minute detailing and cross-sections may be generated for both concrete and steel structures.
- The design of steel and concrete frames with automated optimization is included along with the inclusion of capacity checks for steel connections and base plates.
Why learning ETABS software is a must for Civil & Structural Engineering students ?
A certification in ETABS Software enhances the candidate’s overall profile and CV. ETABS certification proves the candidate’s knowledge and efficiency in using the application. The candidates can easily apply for jobs and grab in-demand opportunities in the design and construction industry. This software is developed for civil & structural engineers to generate highly efficient and cost-effective design models.
Basically, it’s a design tool to make complex calculations related to the structural design of buildings easier for the engineers so that they can make powerful structures within a short time. ETABS software is state-of-art technology, which is constantly evolving with time and this would enhance the skills and employability prospects of civil & structural engineers.
You can join various courses, online or classroom, to learn about ETABS Software and gain expertise in this domain starting from the basics and moving on to the advanced levels.
You can also check our ETABS Software online project-based course under the "All Courses" Page.